Saturday 6th January 2018

Moseley Oak 31 - 17 Rugby Lions

Moseley Oak began 2018 with a home fixture, one of ten home games they host this Spring. The game began unusually with a yellow card for Rugby within 30 seconds, and Moseley were to take full advantage.

Firstly, a James Hare break down the left stretched Rugby and Tom Johnson scooped up the pass to touch down for an unconverted try. Minutes later, a spilled ball by Rugby in midfield gave Oak a turnover chance. The ball once again found James Hare near halfway and he showed great speed to beat the cover defence and score in the corner. Tom Johnson converted from the sideline.

The third try followed soon afterwards. Rugby had a promising attack but a loose pass was pounced on by Oak. After a couple of phases, the ball was spread to the right where Reece Beddowes beat three Rugby players and ended up touching down under the posts.

In the next few minutes, Rugby had some good attacking chances of their own and got into the Moseley 22 on a number of occasions. However, it was the home side who were to score next when James Burgoyne powered over, Tom Johnson converting. Unfortunately for Rugby, they suffered their second front row injury of the game in the build up which resulted in uncontested scrums.

The first half finished with a fifth Oak try. Liam Jameson went on a mazy run up the middle and James Hare arrived on his shoulder to score his second of the match. The half time score was 31-0.

After both sides had periods of pressure in the second half, Rugby opened the scoring from a set piece after missed tackles in the Moseley midfield. Both sides had more chances that were not finished, before Rugby chipped over and touched down after a number of penalties against the home side.

The last try also went to Lions, after some good interplay and a strong charge from their open side. The final score was 31-17 to Moseley Oak, who will hope to replicate their first half form against Stoke at Billesley next Saturday.